Dreams in stone
Eleuterio Hernández Porcayo
The fantastic world inhabits everything that surrounds us, the transformation happens when the creative mind begins the process that joins the hands, which, using the appropriate tools, achieve the realization of unique pieces.
The slow process to discover veins, colors, textures, shapes and volumes begins with touch and sight, with making the selection of the right material, the one that can contain inside what the mind has already conceived, that is what this exhibition offers us, the creation from a hard material, a material that we see without giving it much importance, a material that has existed for thousands of years, before humans were on this planet.
The shapes, the colors, the imaginary captured through forms that nature itself inspires, primal insects, monkeys, reptiles and chelonians, human forms with representative features of the ancient cultures that inhabited our territories, men and women, mythical gods, everything it can be represented when the skillful hands make them visible, when they are no longer in the imaginary and are tangible.
Eleuterio Hernández Porcayo, lapidary master with more than 40 years of experience in this art, transforms his environment in the community of Tlatenchi, municipality of Jojutla, into decorative and utilitarian objects of great beauty, he transforms stone, whether flint or serpentine, into art, With this exhibition he shares his “Dreams in stone”, invites us to enter into his dream world that makes palpable, puts before our eyes the transformation of a humble stone into an artistic piece.
Eleuterio Hernández Porcayo, born on August 4, 1958 in the community of Tlatenchi, municipality of Jojutla, State of Morelos, began in stone carving from a very young age, following in the footsteps of his father.
His work has been present in several editions of the Morelense Popular Art contest, and has the following recognitions:
* First place in the XV Edition of the Identidad Morelense Popular Art Contest 2015.
* Honorable Mention in the XVI Edition of the State Contest of Popular Art, 2016.
* Second Place in the XVII Edition of the State Contest of Popular Art, 2017.
* Second Place in the XVIII Edition of the State Contest of Popular Art, 2018.
* Second Place in the XIX Edition of the Popular and Traditional Art Contest, Morelos 2019.
* First Place in the XX Edition of the Popular and Traditional Art Contest, Morelos 2020.
In addition, it has successfully participated in national competitions obtaining the following results:
* Third Place in the category of stonework and lapidary in the XXXIX Edition of the Grand National Prize of Popular Art 2014.
* Second Place in the lapidary category in the XLI Edition of the 2016 National Popular Art Grand Prize.
* First Place in the category of stonemasonry and Lapidary in the XLII Edition of the Contest Gran Premio Nacional de Arte Popular 2017.